Date of birth: March 13, 1990
Weight division: 81 kg
Height: 1m 88
Residence : Montréal
Photos cc Rafal Burza: Album Antoine Valois-Fortier
- 2012 Olympic bronze medalist
- 2014 World Championships silver medalist
- 2015 World Championships bronze medalist
- 2019 World Championships bronze medalist
- He started practicing judo at the age of 5 with the Club de judo de Beauport. His parents thought the sport would be a healthy outlet for their son’s boundless energy, but they didn’t expect it to become Antoine’s greatest passion.
- He received his black belt in 2007.
- In 2008, he moved to Montreal to train with the Shidokan Judo Club (former National training center).
- He stood on a World Cup podium for the first time in 2010.
- It was during the 2012 London Olympic Games that the world got to know Antoine’s exceptional talent. In winning the Olympic bronze medal, Antoine joined his mentor Nicolas Gill in the ranks of the greatest judokas in Canadian history.
- In 2014, Antoine Valois-Fortier added a very important medal to his collection: the silver at the World Championships. The following year, he did it again and won the bronze medal.
- Since 2011, he stood on the podium at the Pan American Championship 8 times. In 2016 and 2018, he was crowned Pan American champion.
- He is now more determined than ever to become a World and Olympic champion.
- The eldest of a family of four children, he has three younger sisters who have also all trained in judo.
- Has a bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology from the Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Did mountain bike racing before focusing solely on judo.
- Had 2 majors surgeries (hip and lower back).
- Since 2016, he is the Athlete’s Representative on the Judo Canada Board of Directors.
While fighting Travis Steven at a tournament in South America, a bird flew by and left some dropping on the mat. The referee had to stop the fight.
- Nickname: AVF, Tony
- Favorite food: Poutine
- Favorite TV show: Family Guy/The Office
- Hobby: Napping
- Phobia: Needles
- Good luck charm: None
- Guilty Pleasure: Sweets
- Hidden talents: Napping
- Proudest accomplishment: To always have continued his studies while training and competing
- Favorite sports team: Toronto Raptors
For the complete list of Antoine’s accomplishments, please consult his JudoInside page.
© 2017 Canadian Kodokan Black Belt Association, All rights reserved