Date of birth: October 10, 1993
Weight division: 100 kg
Height: 183 cm
Hometown: Brampton, Ontario
Residence: Tokyo, Japan
First Judo Club: Gunma Chuohchu (Japan)
Training place: Japan Racing Association
Personal coach: Masahiro Goto
Photos cc Rafal Burza & Tom Taylor: Album Kyle Reyes
- 2016 – Paris Grand Slam – Silver medallist
- 2014– Tyumen Grand Slam – Silver medallist
- 2013 – Tokyo Grand Slam – Silver medallist
- 2013 – Junior World Champion
- Born in Brampton, Ontario but has lived in Japan since he was 2 years old.
- Started practising judo in high school, at the age of 12. Quickly found that he was a natural, and that he loved the feeling of throwing his opponents to the ground. His progress has been stellar since.
- Rank fifth in the 2012 Tokyo Grand Slam at 19-year-old.
- Became Junior World Champion in the under 100 kg category in Ljubljana, Slovenia, in 2013.
- He reached his first major international achievement at senior level: a silver medal at the Tokyo Grand Slam. The following year brought him another silver medal, this time in Tyumen, Russia.
- In 2016, he climbed again the second step of the podium this time at the prestigious Paris Grand Slam and qualified for his first Olympic Games in Rio.
- Lives in Tokyo, Japan, and trains under coach Masahiro Goto at the Japan Racing Association.
- His greatest dream is to win an Olympic gold.
- He has an English literature degree from Nihon University.
- Nickname: Kaya-Chan
- Favourite food: Lasagna
- Favourite TV show: The Walking Dead
- Hobby: Shopping
- Phobia: Cockroach
- Good luck charm: Having no good luck charm is his good luck charm
- Guilty Pleasure: Doing nothing on his day off
- Hidden talents: Speaks Japanese well
- Proudest accomplishment: Graduating University
- Favourite sports team: Judo Canada
- Favourite music: Avicii
For the entire list of Kyle’s results, please consult his JudoInside page.
© 2017 Canadian Kodokan Black Belt Association, All rights reserved