Date of birth: September 4, 1993
Weight division: 90 kg
Height: 6 feet
Hometown: Whitby, Ontario
Residence: Montreal, Quebec
First Judo Club: Upper Canada Judo Club
Personal Coach: Dave Burt
Training Place: Judo Canada National Training Centre at INS-Québec in Montreal
Photos cc Rafal Burza & Tom Taylor: Album Zachary Burt
- 2017- Grand Slam Abu Dhabi – 3rd
- 2017- Grand Slam Tokyo – 7th
- 2017- European Cup Orenburg – 1st
- 2015- Grand Prix Cancún – 5th
- Zachary started judo at 6 years old at the Upper Canada Judo Club
- He wanted to represent Canada since he won bronze at his first U17 Canadian championships in 2007.
- In 2012, he won the national U20 title in the 81 kg category before moving up to the senior ranks in 2013, when he won a national silver medal.
- In 2013, Burt moved to Montréal to pursue his goals. The same year, he stood on his first World Cup podium at the Oceania Open Apia in November.
- In 2015, he achieved a career highlight by winning bronze at the Open International de Visé, in Belgium
- In 2017, Zachary achieved his best career result by winning bronze at the Abu Dhabi Grand Slam. He has constantly been progressing.
- His objective is to qualify for the 2020 Olympics Games
- He is the oldest of a family of 8. His sister Emily is also on the national team, and they live together nearby the training centre.
- He collects magnets from his trips for his father
- Favourite quote: “What we do in life, echoes in eternity” – Maximus Desimus Merideus
- His father was heavily involved in the sport, competing across North America. He now owns his own judo club.
- Before competing, he listens to specific songs to focus
- Nickname: Zach-Zash
- Favourite food: Pizza
- Favourite TV show: Seinfeld
- Guilty Pleasure: Ice Cream
- Hidden talents: Impersonations
- Favourite sports team: Toronto Maple Leafs
- Favourite music artist: Eminem
For the entire list of Zachary’s results, please consult his JudoInside page.
© 2017 Canadian Kodokan Black Belt Association, All rights reserved